I’ve just solved one of the last problems that had me booting into Windows every so often – being able to program Eproms and Pics.
I’d never had much luck running WinPic800 or the eprom software under wine on linux. Now with the updated version of wine I’ve found I can. Yay!
The following is taken from several websites and usenet postings – I’ve not seen all the info in once place, so I’m putting it here.
1) Install latest version of wine – at time of writing this is 0.9.22 (I make no promisses this will work with earlier or later versions of wine)
2) Run winecfg and selected Win98 as the emulated windows version. Later versions do not allow direct port access that the programmer software uses.
3) Run regedit and add the following key:
4) Add a new string value to that key (type REG_SZ (this is the default anyway))
5) Make sure you have the ppdev kernel module loaded (it usually is by default)
6) [nasty evil hack] chmod 777 /dev/parport0
7) Test out the software.